photographs, wall art, pictures, athex, athexphotographs, street photography Optima, film photography, vintage camera, Alan Thexton
Recently my wife took a trip to rural Victoria to visit her sister. Whilst there they visited a local second hand store, and as luck would have it, noticed the arrival of a collection of old cameras, and thought I may be interested. After the exchange of a number of text messages where she tried to describe the cameras she decided to take a chance and make a purchase. I had asked her to look for something that took 35mm film and had some adjustments. She managed to find one and paid $20.
When she arrived home I was presented with a camera in a nice leather case. Opening the case revealed an Agfa Optima 1a, which I knew nothing about. An internet search revealed the 1a was built in 1962 (about the same year I first used a camera) and was an upgrade of the Optima 1 and now featured a hot shoe for the flash. On inspecting the camera it seemed to be in pretty good condition and the shutter worked. The uv filter had taken a knock or two but the lens appeared ok.
I decided I would buy a roll of film and go shooting. It had been quite a time since I had bought a roll of film and headed off to a local camera store and asked for a roll of FP4 24 exposure, for which I was charged $15, which I think is a ridiculous price, but I still bought it, loaded the camera and took off to the beach to try it out. There is a focus ring, but you cannot visually focus, just pre set the distance. There is also an aperture ring but no shutter adjustment, which I found confusing at first, and an inbuilt light meter that lights green when exposure is correct and red when not correct I worked out the basic operation by experiment and noticed there was also an auto setting. So off I went trying different combinations of focus and exposure and quickly ran through all 24 exposures.
That evening I pulled out the old tank and chemicals and processed the film. I was quite excited when I saw some well exposed film but also disappointed at the number of over exposed frames. I later found an instruction manual on the net that I downloaded and learnt that the camera only operates on manual exposure. The manual f stop adjustments are for flash use and my experimentation had lead to a number of poorly exposed frames - lesson learnt. However I had a lot of fun and manged to get some frames scanned.
The images above and below are the best from the day.
I am looking forward to getting out again with this camera, however I think I will look for a cheaper film supply. The maximum ASA is 200 which is a bit limiting but I am planning on doing some street shots next. I am also planning to do some time exposures at some stage and will post the images here. I think I am going to enjoy this new project.
If you would like to be kept up to date with new blogs please leave your email details on the contact page
Optima 1a project